My Thoughts...

I turned 50 this year. I also lost a few friends to cancer. It started me thinking...about life, and priorities, how and why I (we) do the things we do. So this is a way to record the meanderings of my brain, and share them with others.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Self Improvement Dr Oz style

I was recently in a doctors waiting room , waiting, and reading a magazine. I read an interesting article by Dr Oz. Why can't all our family physicians be like him, anyway??? It was a sort of "how to improve your life" article, and he always seems to know what he is about, so I took notes. (plus, I was bored). So, for anybody interested, here is how to start improving your health in little steps. This was the goal for the first month, anyway.
1.Walk 30 minutes a day.
2. Brush and floss your teeth everyday.
3. Drink 2 cups green tea.
4. Sleep 7-8 hours a night.
5. Spiritual-I though this was interesting! Meditate, do Yoga, or Pray-at least 5 minutes per day.
Then the vitamins-
DHA Omega 3's-400 mg
Vitamin D 1000 IU
Calcium 1000 mg

So I decided then and there to try it. So far, I've been doing the walking (most days-especially since I have to walk the dogs anyway). I've also been brushing and flossing. I always brush, but I will do really well with the flossing for a while, then I fall off the wagon and let it slide, then I have to start over. I try to get enough sleep, but struggle with bouts of insomnia. I went to the chiropractor the other day, and got the added side effect of sleeping much better. That was a surprise. I have always prayed at night before I fall asleep, so that was a no brainer. I haven't made it to the store to get the vitamins yet. I don't know why I seem to be putting it off, but I need to get cracking. Especially the calcium and vitamin D. I don't want to wind up with awful osteoporosis. I don't like green tea as much, so I've been drinking the black. I sneak in green tea occasionally.
So, goal for the week, get the vitamins-and get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment