My Thoughts...

I turned 50 this year. I also lost a few friends to cancer. It started me thinking...about life, and priorities, how and why I (we) do the things we do. So this is a way to record the meanderings of my brain, and share them with others.

Friday, July 16, 2010

kids in restaurants

Dear Parents,

The only people who think your kids are as cute and charming as you do are their grandparents.

If I decide to go out for a meal, and I go to an adult restaurant-(you can tell because they have a bar!!!), I want a relatively quiet meal. I do not want to hear your child shrieking. If they are tired and cranky, get a take out box and leave. They need to go home to bed if they are tired. And please do not let them stand up in the booth and turn around and touch my hair with their dirty little hands. And for heavens sake, don't let them wander around bothering other people, or run through the aisles where the poor waitstaff are trying not to spill drinks or hot food on them.

I was actually in a restaurant where a group of kids ( who were being ignored by their parents) were running around playing hide and seek among the tables and booths. They tried to crawl in under our legs as we were eating. I loudly explained to them that we had paid for a babysitter for our children, so we could enjoy our meal in peace and quiet. So they ran out the door, and were chasing each other up and down the sidewalk, next to a relatively busy street. I was the only one who seemed worried they would get hit by a car. The group of parents were oblivious to it all. The other patrons looked grateful.

I know babies and small children sometimes cry, but for heavens sake, take them to the bathroom or outside, so we don't all have to put up with it.

Now, if you are in McDonalds, or Chucky Cheese, or some other kid oriented place, that kind of thing is expected to happen. If the grown ups don't like it, they can leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment