My Thoughts...

I turned 50 this year. I also lost a few friends to cancer. It started me thinking...about life, and priorities, how and why I (we) do the things we do. So this is a way to record the meanderings of my brain, and share them with others.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

the Diva's Dirty Dozen

After turning 50 this year, and thinking, "holy crap, my life is more than half over", I decided to pay more attention to my health. Adding to that decision was the loss of several friends in the past few years to cancers. All nurses, all coworkers. Friends and I were discussing this, and how to improve our health, and we started thinking about all the toxins we are exposed to on a regular basis. A friend mentioned the Diva's list of toxic ingredients in health and beauty products, so I started checking it out. Another "holy crap"-I can't believe all the chemicals I've been putting all over myself all these years. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis several years ago, and I wondered why. Now I have a small cloud of suspicion.
I got the list, and started eliminating the bad stuff from the everyday things I've been using. I didn't go whole hog-just when I ran out of shampoo, I started researching a non-toxic brand. Then lotion, then laundry detergent, etc. Also paying more attention to what I'm eating, but that's a whole 'nother topic.
Here's the list-to get you started. Next time you're sitting on the potty-grab a bottle of something you've got in your bathroom and read the ingredients. It might really surprise and scare you!
1. the paraben family (methyl paraben, propyl, butyl, and ethyl parabens)
2. Urea compounds (imidazolindyl and diazolindy ureas)
3. Petrolatum
4. propylene glycol
5. PVP/V copolymer
6. sodium lauryl sulphate
7. stearalkonium chloride
8. synthetic colours
9. fragrances
10. phthalates
11. triethanolamine

Check out this and more information on organicdivas.com

No comments:

Post a Comment